There is still so much to share with you about SNAP Conference from April! (I know, it’s been a while). This time I’m doing it with an awesome GIVEAWAY!! (See the end of the post for details!)
There is much to be gained, just from being in the presence of other creative like-minded women, but besides the power of those interactions, I learned so much from every class and workshop I attended! I tried to tweet lots of good take-aways, but my phone kept dying. Here are a few of my conference tweets:
From the SEO class by Dennis Goedegebuure:
(I still have so much to learn about SEO, but these are some ideas that were relevant to me at my level).
- Check out WordPress SEO smart links plug-in. & Juice.
- Rather than asking for likes…”@RhonnaFarrer: Put your energy into making things that are likeable. #SEO #snapconf @TheNextCorner”
- If your content isn’t date specific, consider leaving date out of permalink.#snapconf
From the Keynote address by best-selling author, Cheryl Najafi–who has given me a signed copy of her new book to giveaway to on of my readers on THIS post (see below!)
- “make sure your conversations have heart and soul” @CherylStyle on entertaining #snapconf
- Great idea, right? “@PenningtonPoint: Now I want to have a “meet & potato” party @CherylStyle #snapconf”
- Instead of worrying about being the perfect host, spend that energy making your guests feel special. - @CherylStyle #SNAPConf
- “Embrace your best. Resource the rest.” #cherylstyle #snapconf
- “@snapconf: I love that @CherylStyle just called bloggers a “movement”… It’s so true. #SNAPconf” Absolutely!
- As a host, it’s not about me, it’s about the guests! @cherylnajafi #snapconf
I loved her philosophy on entertaining!! More about Cheryl in a minute!
From the video class by Roger Sherman
- Great video tips from @GreatHomeVideo 1-Hold Steady (watch orientation of camera–needs to be wide screen) #snapconf
- More tips from @GreatHomeVideo: Don’t pan back and forth! Cut, reposition and start again. Makes sense! No edit later! #snapconf
- Don’t zoom!–Zooming is death! @GreatHomeVideo, I thought I was the only one that was bad at that! #snapconf
- Keep shots short and vary your angles. Shooting video @GreatHomeVideo #snapconf
- Get close close close up on what ever your subject is. @GreatHomeVideo #snapconf
- Use natural light for photos and video! Experiment with times of day for best light @GreatHomeVideo #snapconf
- View social media as part of your business. Even better, it’s free! via @pizzazzerie #snapconf
- Proposals need to be very specific. Show publishers exactly what your book will be. @makeandtakes #snapconf
- Make sure and keep track of your press! Promote yourself thoroughly to publishers. (Not the time to be humble.) #snapconf
- 1st step: book proposal.Reflection of you and what your book will be. Audience? @CrafterNews #blogtobook #snapconf
- Book Proposal–make sure it reflects your creativity and professionalism. Proposal can be only 8-9 pages. #blogtobook #snapconf
- RT @emihill: The size of your blog doesn’t matter. Being online puts you a step ahead of a lot of publishers. via @makeandtakes #snapconf
From the Defining your Style class by Ana White that I didn’t get to attend (but retweeted):
- LOVE THIS! “Be yourself because everyone else is taken.” via @_anawhite #snapconf
From flower arranging class brilliantly taught by Megan of Persimmon Floral Design (I already do flowers, but hadn’t used this method before):
- Make a grid out of skinny tape on top of your vase to keep your flowers in place. #snapconf @persimmonfloral instagr.am/p/JsbvWvjhJ5/
I must have been too engrossed to tweet, but I learned to much from Melanie at Royal Design Studios. If only I had attended her class before attempting this project.
Her big secret: Off-loading. She uses a bristled brush (not a roller or a foam pouncer), but off-loads a ton of paint before applying it!
And I don’t remember what all the folks at Scentsy taught us about the science of creating scents, but I do remember how much fun I had sampling everything and then getting to design my own personal scent. It’s harder than it looks!
And from the hilarious and inspiring Keynote by Matt Townsend:
- Who’s going to change the world if you don’t? @matttownsend #snapconf
- Your confidence should come from knowing how to fly, not from where you are perched. Matt Townsend #snapconf