Inside the Advent Calendar

Please tell me I’m not the only one out there that always overestimates what I can do, and underestimates the time it will take me to do it! I have been wanting, for a while now, to give you all an early Christmas present of sorts. I am working on graphics to put inside each box of my advent calendar.

I thought if any of you had made it, or already had an advent calendar, you might like the no-brainer approach, of printing off my inserts and using them in your calendar. The trouble is that it took me quite a while to decide what I wanted our advent to be all about, but now that I have compiled my advent list, I am going to share it with you (December is ticking away) in the hopes that the graphic will soon follow. But if not…at least we can get started anyway (Perfectionism, get thee hence!).

My calendar is spiritually based and is meant to provide a short teaching opportunity each night. I like the activity based advents, but know that I can’t put many more “to do’s” on our family list–they just won’t happen. There are just a few “to do’s” here, like singing songs, or a simple craft. I am only including treats on some of the nights. Your kids will probably love you more, if you fill in the rest of the dates with candy, but I wanted most of the gifts to have some sort of symbolism or meaning. The gifts I am giving (mostly Dollar Store finds) are listed in parentheses after each scripture. A lot of the inspiration for this advent can be found at sites listed here.

Without further ado…

Day 1- Read John 3:16—Why did Jesus come to Earth?
Day 2- Read Luke 1:26-33—Who told Mary that she would have a baby?
Day 3- Read Isaiah 7:14 & Matt. 1:23—How did Isaiah know what would happen? Why is it important that he did?
Day 4- Read Matthew 1:18-21—Why did Mary & Joseph name the baby Jesus?
Day 5- Read Luke 1:36—How were Mary & Elizabeth related? Who is older, John the Baptist, or Jesus?
Day 6- Read Luke 2:1, 3-6—Why did Mary and Joseph go to Bethlehem? (Include coins in the advent box)
Day 7- Read Micah 5:2—What does this scripture foretell about Bethlehem? Sing O Little Town of Bethlehem
Day 8- Read Luke 2:7—Why did Mary lay baby Jesus in a manger? (Include manger ornament craft kit)
Day 9- Read Luke 2:8-11—Candy canes, remind us of the shepherds’ crook and The Savior, who is “The Good Shepherd” (include mini candy canes)
Day 10- Read Luke 2:13–14–Who joined the angel in praising God? Join with the angels and sing “Joy to the World”
Day 11- Read Luke 2:15–17–Where did the shepherds go after the angels left?
Day 12- Read Matt. 2:1–2 How did the Wise Men know that Jesus had been born? (include star stickers)
Day 13- Read Matt. 2:7–10–Where did Herod send the Wise Men?
Day 14- Read Matt. 2:11–How did the Wise Men show that they knew the young child was the Savior? (Include present shaped chocolates or other tiny gift)
Day 15- Why do we give each other gifts at Christmas? Read Matt. 2:11 and Matt 25:40. Here is a small present for you! (Include small gift like lip balm)
Day 16- Read Matt. 2:13–15–Why did Joseph take Mary and Jesus to Egypt?
Day 17- Read John 1:1-5—Why do you think we decorate with Christmas lights at Christmas?
Day 18- Read John 8:12—Christ is the light of the world. Christmas Candles and lights remind us of his light. (include small candles)
Day 19- Read Isaiah 9:6—What are some of the names of Christ?
Day 20- Read Psalms 66:1-2—Christmas bells are rung to make a “joyful noise”. Sing “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” (include bell shaped candy or small bells).
Day 21- Read Isaiah 61:1-3—Bows “bind up the broken hearted” and remind us that we are all connected, through Jesus Christ. How can we serve someone this Christmas? (include little bows)
Day 22- Read Isaiah 1:18 & Revelations 3:5. What does snow have to do with the real meaning of Christmas? Make a snowflake.
Day 23- Read Psalms 95:6-7—How do we worship Christ? Sing “O Come All Ye Faithful!”
Day 24- Read (and act out) Luke 2—Christmas is almost here. Here is a small gift. (Include Nativity trinket)
Day 25- Read Job 19:25—Enjoy this special day!

(Visited 170 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

1. wedogmomma says:

Can I just say how insanely detailed that is…..and exactly what I’ve been looking for…
    Thanks!
    Grace and peace!

2. Setting the Mood says:

Wow! You really worked hard on this! What a great time saver for us!! Thank you!

3. Kendra, they name is SELFLESS. Wow! So now I just need to make that advent calendar… Okay, that’s next year. But I can incorporate the advent part into my current calendar! Thanks, dear.

4. Fabulous!

Your card is a finalist in the Tip Junkie Christmas Card contest. Be sure to blog about it and ask for people to vote for you. {{wink}}

They can vote on the left side bar. Good Luck!

5. Love this idea, thanks so much for posting it!!!

6. CompleteLee Blogger says:

Very creative tree. I like it.

7. I like your idea. I want to do this when my daughter is older. If you are interested, my site is finishing off our 12 Weeks of Christmas carnival (December 22) with this same topic. I’m sure my readers would love to hear your idea!

8. That was a really sweet advent-and a perfect way to bring the real meaning of Christmas to our homes-
    Thanks for sharing

9. Mary Ellen (megardengal) says:

THis is a fantastic idea! I wish I had it when my boys were small- guess I’ll have to wait for grandbabies to use it!

blessings
    mary

10. I just made an advent calendar and was looking for spirital things to put in. This is PERFECT!! Thanks for reposting this.

11. Zack & Alisha says:

What a great idea! We are going to use this for December to keep my family enjoying the whole month of the Christmas spirit. I have young children and I think this is just perfect for them. Thanks for all the scriptures, they are a wonderful help. I have posted about them and plan to continue throughout the month. I also linked to your blog. Thanks again.

Alisha

12. Zack & Alisha says:

Alisha

13. Zack & Alisha says:

Alisha

14. Thank you so much! I have been searching for *years* for an Advent calendar that's really about Advent. I really don't think I need to give my kids chocolate or small gifts every day in December…but the gift of scripture? Priceless. Found you from a link on The Tip Junkie.

15. Love Love Love this!! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I just have to HURRY and put this together tomorrow before December gets here.

16. Kristen Wild says:

Heard about this on the Savy Moms guide. Thank you sooo much! This is what I wanted to do this year!

17. Thanks for creating and sharing this. I just made my 2010 advent calendar and used your plan for our after dinner talks!

18. This is our first year ever considering or even doing an advent calendar. Wasn’t sure of the approach we should take on it…………BUT your idea is PERFECT for our family!! Thank you for taking the time to share your inspiration. I can’t wait to get started!! 🙂

19. Thank you for the wonderful advent idea! This is the first year we will be doing an advent calendar with our 2 year old and 7 month old daughters. What a perfect opportunity to teach them what Christmas is REALLY about! God bless you.

Found you from a link on Tip Junkie!

20. Charlotte K. says:

Thank you so much for this Advent idea!! I am in the process of putting my Advent “chain” together!! I had been looking for ideas for a while and LOVE this one!! Thanks for sharing with us all!

21. An answer to prayer! Thanks for putting this all together. Just what our family of four is looking for!

22. This is wonderful! I have been looking for something just like this! Thank you for putting this together. I’m excited to do this with my kids.

23. This is PERFECT! Thank you so much! My 10 yr old son has been asking me for an advent calendar, we’ve looked but I haven’t found one & now I know why. I was supposed to find yours. This is exactly what we need as a family & it will build life long cherished memories from making it, to reading the devotions daily with each other. Of course I will need to make sure that my (gift) days are big enough to hold two, since I also have a 6 yr old daughter. Blessings to you.

24. Wow! Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to share it. This is absolutely perfect and helps us stay focused on Christ during the season.

25. Exactly what I’ve been searching for! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I had created an advent calendar from match boxes last year, but did not complete it in time for the advent season. Still had not decided what to put in each box, but knew I could find help somewhere, and this is definitely it! Thanks for all you have put into creating this and sharing with all of us!

26. Thanks so much for this!! This is great!!!

27. Thank You!! I am planning on making advent calendar’s for the children in my class at church. This will make it so easy!!

28. I’ve been looking for an advent calendar that is like the Resurrection eggs at Easter time and this is definitely it! Thank you so much!

29. Thanks for this fantastic post, I am glad I found this web
    site on yahoo.

Trackbacks

1. Advent Pt.2a says:

[…] calendars.  I found a beautiful selection of verses, questions and the additional treats at My Insanity.  I lucked into that site through the post on advent calendars at Tip Junkie.  Some days […]